Sunday, August 3, 2014

Is high school like 'Mean Girls'?

Hi,

My name is Kandyce and I was home schooled. I was home schooled a lllllll the way, which is a question that comes up with both normal people and other veteran home schoolers.

'You were home schooled…like all the way?'

Yes. I was home schooled all the way. My graduating class was myself and two dear friends with whom I had spent the past howevermanyears driving from house to house for each class to class till finally our education was complete.

My high school experience was awesome. In no way do I feel I suffered socially, my education was tailor fit to my needs, I even feel I used the huge amount of down time between classes in a fairly productive way. I loved being home schooled.

That being said, I do have some questions.

When I think of the average high school experience, my brain conjures up scenes from 'Mean Girls' and stops there.

Do they really make you shower together after gym? 

I don't have super powers, and I'm highly inclined towards proper hygiene, I even would go so far to say that (especially in high school) I have no real self confidence issues and am very comfortable in my own skin. But shoot…put me in a locker room with a bunch of highly hormonal high school girls on a bad day and you can go ahead and que that shower scene from 'Carrie'

What's detention really like?

I'm guessing it's not much like 'Breakfast Club'

Did you live in constant fear of the teacher asking you to answer a question in front of the class and not knowing the answer?

Cause let's be real, the idea of this induces an immediate senses of stress and I graduated like..5 years ago? I think that's right..

Is the cafeteria that intimidating?


I get it, cliques exist, but in my long though out 'what if I had attended high school' I do just eat my lunch in the bathroom, a la Katy Herron. And it's not that I'm antisocial, but years of NOT having to wade through thousands of kids my age has taught me one thing. I don't want to deal with your bullshit. That whole bathroom stall idea just seems sooooo much simpler.


ahhh my baby is awake, just, tell me what high school is actually like, please.

3 comments:

  1. I went to an all girls Catholic school for high school with some of the wealthiest people in the Midwest and...no...no mean girls' action to report. I've never been to detention, as a matter of fact, my school had no detention, so I wish someone would explain what that is like...also, the bathrooms reeked (to me) so...I would never consume food there, but there were never any students in the library during lunch so I would think that would be better. There was no cafeteria at my school, everyone brought their own lunch, which we ate in the student lounge. There was no "free" lunch. I did live in fear of the teacher asking me to answer something that I didn't know, because there were only 6 students in each class so...you'd have to answer pretty often. There were no showers at my high school at all. The only time I've been forced to shower with other females was in the military. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do they really make you shower together after gym?
    In Middle School the showers was one large one, but you don't have to shower and most girls brought bathing suits. In High School, the showers were divided with curtains.

    What's detention really like?
    Depends. Do you want to know about after school or in school? After school consisted of everyone sitting in the cafetaria being watched by whoever was in charge and no one was allowed to talk. In school detention consisted of a room of students that werent allowed to leave of talk to each other. You had two go to the bathroom in a line led by the teacher and all of your work was dropped off to you.

    Did you live in constant fear of the teacher asking you to answer a question in front of the class and not knowing the answer?
    It sucks not knowing a questions but I wasnt scared of being asked.

    Is the cafeteria that intimidating?
    YES! Especially when you first start a new semester and no one has lunch together. As you get older your group just meets at the same table and you ate with whomever showed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is relatively old, but I'll comment anyways. I went to a smallish town public school and it's nothing like on tv. I mean you had your groups that hung out together, but rarely were people in one group mean to another group. They just lived and let live.

    Occasionally, the freshman or senior class would organize a bottleneck in the long hallway that connected what was formerly, two separate buildings. This caused some uproar, but nothing crazy. We had gym, but no one ever showered there. They would just wipe down with baby wipes or something.

    For me detention consisted of sitting there, painting my nails or working on homework. You really just sat there. We had regular detention which was an hour I think? And then there was a D-Hall which was double. I want to say 2 hours. There was also ISS or In-school suspension. That's where they would send you if you broke the dress code or were mouthing off to a teacher, because rather than send you home, which might have been your goal, you get ISS. You sit in a tiny cubicle with a desk and aren't allowed to talk to anyone the whole day. (I never got ISS, only detention and d-hall)

    I'm sure some people lived in fear of getting asked the questions that you didn't know, but most teachers realized that students didn't do the assigned homework or reading so they went over it in class anyway. This usually happened after one or two questions to the general classroom of 30 or so students and all you heard was crickets.

    Cafeteria was huge, but not intimidating in my opinion. Our school was broken out into 4 lunch periods because it couldn't fit everyone at once. You were sorted into A, B, C or D lunch lasting 30 minutes each by whatever homeroom you were assigned to. So the first day of homeroom you would see who was in your lunch and then you knew who you would eat with that you actually liked. You kind of staked out your table and that was where you sat the rest of the year. Eventually, you would find more and more people in your lunch block that you liked and you would have a constant group to sit with.

    I hope the helps!

    ReplyDelete